Education Committee Notes for 10-23-11 Meeting
Evaluation of Last Week’s Events
Peter agreed to take minutes.
We did a good job on getting events together – one every day, but need much better outreach/publicity in future.
Chuck said he was willing to take on 2-3 introductions of education events/week.
Mark has a template for putting publicity flyers together easily and quickly.
A.P. Walther of Salem Weekly told Amanda that anyone can post an event to Willamettelive.com for free and it will be incorporated into their calendar.
This Week’s Plans
Monday: Willamette Reds will present “Intro to Socialism.”
Tuesday: Jim King will present “Neighbor to Neighbor Mediation.”
Thursday: Phil Carver will present “Climate Change.”
- Three progressive churches – Chuck will contact with flyers Mark will prepare. He will also talk to SEIU about printing them.
- Willamette University – Evan will make sure the word gets out there and take flyers over.
- Statesman Journal – Chuck will contact them with the schedule.
- Kristen will make sure the Education schedule information is posted on Occupy Salem’s main webpage and its Facebook page. She will also get flyers around Chemeketa.
- Laurie will put together an emailing list of organizations in town who might help us spread the world
- Everyone agreed to send the flyer to our personal email lists when Mark gets it to us.
Elizabeth is willing to convene a video showing and discussion group on Tuesday and Thursday this week.
Tuesday: Interview with Robert Reich
Kristen will create an online forum for the Education Committee on the Occupy main website.
Education Committee will meet regularly at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday afternoons in the Village. It is understood that not all members will be able to attend all meetings.
Some ideas were offered:
Steve Green on Constitutional Law
Pam Moro on a subject connected to anthropology
Seth Cottler on a historical subject
Peter Bergel wants to repeat his presentation on the Vision Our Movement Needs the week after next some time.
All committee members agreed to think about other topics and presenters and to check with them regarding their interest and availability. From those who are asked to make a presentation, we will also request a short description of their presentations.
We considered endorsing externally-produced events, but decided it was too complex to handle this week, and agreed to bring it back to a later agenda.
Peter agreed to send the minutes to the committee and to Communications.
All agreed it was an efficient and productive meeting.