The purpose of the events committee is to plan, prepare for, and carry out public events and activities that will serve to educate and reach out to the public while maintaining morale of the occupiers in our village. These events will include, but not be limited to, marches, rallies, concerts and legislative support.
- Public Education. Our mission as occupiers is to advance our message through education of the community. We know that the more that the public learns of the issues we are concerned with in the occupy movement, the more they will support us. Our actions must always strive to provide meaningful information to the public in varied and entertaining ways.
- Legislative Impact. As our movement matures, we will find ourselves moving from a role of education about the conditions and symptoms of corporate greed and deregulation to supporting and even proposing legislation that will correct it. Events will be a pivotal part of petitioning campaigns. With our presence at the capitol, we will be in a strategic position to promote passage of favorable legislation on the capital steps or by packing hearing rooms when proposals go to committee.
- Moral. Events are vital to keeping the moral of the occupiers in high gear throughout the long campaign ahead. Concerts give a moment to come together and recharge spirits. Marches and rallies create solidarity and purpose in our organization.
- Networking. These events will continue to be a major way that we will reach out and interact the public and also with our sisters and brothers in other occupations.
- Creating varied purposes and themes for the events.
- Planning the routes and destinations of marches.
- Arranging for speakers and music.
- Obtaining permits when required.
- Publicize in newspapers (SJ, Salem Ness, Keizer Times, Oregonian)
- Notification on radio (KPOJ – Karl Wolfson, Adam Klugman)
- Providing communications with notice for the Web, twitter, facebook, etc.
- Posting a schedule of upcoming events.
- Creating and distributing fliers.
- CCTV, KUMZ
- Coordination with peacekeepers to provide a safe and peaceful atmosphere.
- Providing chant leaders during the marches.