((This is the first official update! Yay, so exciting!! ))
(welcome to updates by tsuchii ~~ )
Approval Process Proposal
Need For Mental Health Services
Criteria For Exclusion
Office Space @ Micah Building
**All committees are asked to produce a statement of intent. This will be published on our website.
**Peter researched & brought to GA that recorded 2266 occupy communities exist globally.
**Peter formed a Long Range Planning and Vision committee last GA, and lets it be known to all that it is completely transparent and open, however there is one requirement: you must sign up with your name on the sign up sheet located at the kitchen. You must also provide some kind of contact information.
**There is also a peacekeeper training sign up sheet located at the kitchen. Once there are at least 5 willing participants peacekeeper training will be held at a time and date agreeable to all – please provide contact information on the sheet to make this happen. (i for one, will be signing up for peacekeeper training!)
**Doug with Permit Committee ** Reported we delivered our letter for support & call for action to the Governor & Representatives, but we have received absolutely no responses. More on this further down in Agenda Items.
Permit Committee has daily meetings with the park officials. There remains a long list of Representatives to contact. PC reminds us that if we intend to adhere to our permit we need to be more diligent with groundskeeping. Members of the public have reported to Doug their interest in changing the state constitution.
Permit Committee is asking the community for 2 more members.
**Hospitality reminds everyone that it we are all responsible for being hospitable.
**Education Committee has a solid schedule of teach-ins! They distributed it about town today to various schools including Willamette, churches, and has begun talking with the Statesman Journal about posting their class schedule in the paper! (which i think is super exciting, i mean come on!!)
**Arts Committee meets regularly Monday through Friday on the corner of the park at State St, at 10 am. They are in the process of creating a schedule.
**Operations is still drafting its statement of Purpose – they had their 2nd meeting today.
PROPOSAL – Operations typed up a proposal & brought to GA:
Draft Proposal to the Occupy Salem General Assembly ragarding:
Proposal Approval and Adoption by Consensus
Realizing that Occupy Salem and its constituent General Assembly were formed as a public forum with the mission of re-empowering individuals and resolving issues through recognition of our common humanity, and that this is to be achieved through all-inclusive discussion to find common ground,
Noting that Occupy Salem is intent on solidarity with other Occupy movements, including Occupy Wall Street and Occupy Portland,
Remembering that majority rule democracy, while effective in many ways, has been a contributing factor to several of the deficiencies in our City, State, and National governments, including increased focus on small well-represented interests to the exclusion and disenfranchisement of less represented groups and individuals to the detriment of community,
Recognizing that democracy by consensus is far more inclusive of all participants and leads to resolutions which better meet the needs of the common good as opposed to narrower interests, and that the potential for such resolution of several of the people’s grievances is a core justification for the Occupy movement, and,
Finding that Occupy Wall Street, Occupy Portland, and other General Assemblies, including the original Occupy Salem General Assembly, were founded on the basis of consensus, and that approval of proposals is done by the consent of 90% of those participating in the Assembly, with Unanimous Consent sought and noted where possible, and that on very specific and special circumstances is consent by less that 90% for approval of a proposal,
The Occupy Salem General Assembly hereby resolves:
1) To seek unanimous consent of the Assembly for proposals whenever possible,
2) In cases where unanimous consent is not achieved, to only approve of proposals with the consent of approximately 90% or more of those participating, with the exception of stand asides,
3) To only suspend the resolutions 1 and 2 in cases where the following are all true:
a. The Assembly faces a decision between distinct options,
b. Discussion and attempts to reach consensus have failed,
c. Failure to approve at least one of the options would present a dire and immediate threat to the Occupy’s continuation, or a grave ehtical lapse, and,
d. Urgent action is necessary to avoid stated consequences.
4) To develop, adopt, and maintain in published for at all Assembly meetings, a regularized process for the hearing of proposals during the assembly meetings by which:
a. Said proposals can be presented, friendly amendments may be proposed, clarifications requested, and concerns and objections can be offered
b. Proposals which do not have sufficient support can be reworked to include amendments and considerations to address the stated concerns and oppositions of the Assembly,
c. Records of proposals, amendments, and comments are maintained and published as part of the General Assembly minutes, and,
d. Adopted proposals are published and promulgated amongst the community.
This was not passed, and no comments were made, but there was a general feeling of acceptance throughout the group
Ops Committee says they’ll keep working on it & bring it forth again within the next 1-3 GA.
MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
Jim is interested in asking for assistance from non profits, has talked with state police about issues. Jordan has looked into procuring mental health services for the community & will be receiving official yes or no tomorrow around this.
CRITERIA FOR EXCLUSION
Occupy Salem operates under a community agreement of non-violence. It was brought to the attention of the GA that occupants are violating this community agreement.
Comment: If a process for exclusion is established, i request that a process for re-inclusion also be established.
PROPOSAL- If the non-violence agreement is violated, PeaceKeeping will require the involved parties to leave Occupy for 2 days.
After 2 days, those excluded may come back providing they sign an agreement to the non-violence policy.
If they break this agreement a second time, they will be asked to leave for perpetuity.
*NOTE: Passed, with an agreement that this would be discussed further and that this ratification is a temporary fix.
OFFICE SPACE @ THE MICAH BUILDING
Individuals are currently looking into renting space for communications and other office related work. This space would be extremely useful to us!
-looking into funding to rent the building for a year
-asked permission of GA to ask unions for funding – response, [YES!]
-asked Micah building managers to formally write up their concerns
-OPW is open to being on the rental agreement & held legally accountable for rent (providing certain conditions are met).
Comment: There are other places in our surrounding area for rent!
PROPOSAL- Form task force to research renting office space & report to every PM GA.
**volunteers for this so far: Jim, Jordan, Brad, Peter, Michele**
PROPOSAL- subcommittee of Peacekeeping with military training. They will remain non-violent.
-strong objections, [[TABLED]]
They will write up a statement of purpose & functions and represent to GA.
**What we learned from this proposal:
Peacekeeping is in need of more training.
Peacekeeping is in need of more members.
Re confirmed vote on issue from last nights GA- Proposed to stop promoting ‘Occupy The Capitol’, however still march on this day in protest, not turning down any fellow Occupiers who wish to converge on the capitol. (why would we? )
Comment: People from Seattle and Portland are expected!
Events Committee will have a meeting tomorrow, 10/25 to prepare for the march in all senses. Please join! **volunteers for Events: Marches so far- Bill, Jim, Greg**
PROPOSED- one person will take minutes each and every GA. This person will be designated either by volunteering or appointment by the GA facilitator BEFORE the meeting is begun.
Amendment: A new facilitator is desired by the GA each meeting. (This was not a firm rule, but more what everyone would like. If you want it to be a firm rule lets vote on it next GA!)
PROPOSAL- to maintain our current permit (by adhering to all of its rules).
PROPOSAL- to continue pursuing a 24 hour permit (as opposed to acting in civil disobedience).
PROPOSAL- to work towards amending our state constitution to specify our right to assemble here in Willson Park.
– [[TABLED, this bears further discussion, and is agreed upon to be a back-burner item!]]
*****~~so that’s everything from my minutes on tonight’s GA! Let me know if this helped anyone, if i should make changes, what have you! ~~*****