Spokes Council Minutes 8/21/12
IKE BOX 7 PM (Outside)
Facilitator: Peter Stacker: None Scribe: Bobbie
In Attendance: Nancy, Rich, Bobbie, Peter, Tracy, Mary Murphy, James, Kenneth
A Moment of Silence: Peter Non-violence Agreement: Peter Hand Signals: Mission Statement: Bobbie
- Nancy: Fellowship of Reconciliation will have a retreat in Camp Adams in October about the state bank issue, titled: The Buck Starts Here featuring Ellen Brown.
- Nancy: The deadline for legislative bills is 9/21/12.
- Rich: He is a candidate for House District 17 and collected enough signatures to avoid paying the $750 fee to have his candidate statement in the voter pamphlet.
- Rich: He reminded us that we can collect signatures on government property because when Stacy was collecting signatures for him at the Stayton library, Stacy was told he couldn’t gather them there. It was resolved.
- Tracy: He thinks Seth Woolley, running on the Green party ticket, would be a good contact. Peter knows Seth and agrees.
- Peter: Praxis continues to look at the idea of structuring a game. Tracy suggested looking at Second Life.
1. Fri Aug 24 at Noon at Bank of America at High and Center.
2. Fri Aug 24 at Friends at 7 for informal GA.
3. Fri Aug 24 – Sep 3 at the Fairgrounds, MPMTA will table at the State Fair.
- Rich: He is working with Occupy Portland on exposing ALEC. He’d like to see an activity directed to exposing ALEC locally. Ideas for signs were discussed; no specific plan was created.
- Nancy: She mentioned that there is a world-wide Occupy event making noise in October though details are not known yet, and research by Bobbie was not productive. It was noted that the OSO anniversary is 10/10 and could coincide with this event. Mary Murphy suggested using the large highway signs. Other ideas anyone?
MPMTA AG, Rich: MPMTA has a table at the State Fair, booth 504, where attendees will have the opportunity to sign a petition requesting the state legislature to say “no” to the Citizen’s United Supreme Court ruling.
Praxis AG, Bobbie: Praxis continues to work with a consultant on creating a game which would educate players, though it is taking longer than first imagined.
Communication Committee, Peter: He has not been completely successful obtaining the information he’d need to make communication between members more viable.
- Friday, Aug 24 at Noon, meet at Bank of America at High and Center to Occupy the Bank.
PROPOSALS: Results (Passed, Rejected, Tabled)
Nancy proposed that a deadline for ideas for the world wide October event be made and voted on by 9/5; Bobbie seconded it with a friendly amendment that the deadline be 9/4 to coincide with a Tuesday SC meeting. It was approved unanimously. So bring your ideas!
MEETING ADJOURNED Rich proposed; Nancy seconded