Spokes Council Minutes 7/31/12
IKE BOX 7 PM (Outside)
Facilitator: None Stacker: None Scribe: Bobbie In Attendance: Laurie, Nancy, Rich, Bobbie, Linda, Katharine
A Moment of Silence: Non-violence Agreement: Hand Signals: Mission Statement:
The question was asked if there were sufficient numbers to meet. It was not clear but no one recalled that a quorum was needed, so it was agreed that no proposals would be made and only announcements and actions would be brought up.
- Laurie: The name for the bicycle AG is Chain Gang. They have gone to outlying banks the last two weeks and this Friday will go to Silverton so Evan can join them before he moves from the Salem area. They expect to arrive at the Chase Bank about 2:30 or 3:00 in case others would like to drive and meet them there.
- Rich: He was names the official spokes person of the MPMTA AG.
- Katharine: She said that the FBI is repressing anarchists, saying they are stopping violent crime, but what is really going on is repression of free speech. There is a community of 160 groups such as Jobs with Justice who have signed a statement of solidarity. Join in this action. Katharine: She said that there is an action in Seattle on 8/2 and they want black clothing.
- Wed Aug 1 at 7pm at Peace Plaza will be a gathering to show support for Syrians.
- Fri Aug 3 at Noon at US Bank (at the corner of Commercial and State) will be the Occupy the Bank Action.
- Sat Aug 18, 10am at Unity Property, 1777 Fabry Rd SE, is the Salem Peace Festival.
- Sat Aug 25 – Sep 3 at the Fairgrounds, MPMTA will table at the State Fair.
- Rich: He urged members to write to AFSCME and let the union know that choosing Fred Girod is an ALEC member who could bring about the same changes in Oregon that took place in Wisconsin – that union members ought to not support someone like Fred Girod.
- Bobbie: She suggested members write to national organizations which put out ads, with suggested ads regarding voter suppression, which is being justified by saying there is rampant voter fraud, when there is not. (Only 35 cases were found last year, many of them done out of ignorance, yet voter suppression will result in millions losing their right to vote as a result of what is called voter fraud.) There is rampant election fraud.
- Katharine: She will provide information that will help OSO members call the US Attorneys mentioned in Announcements, 3 and Actions, 2.
- Wed, Aug 1 Call in to the US Attorneys to let them know that this is viewed as political, not good police work. Last Friday there was a man in or around Gresham shot. More info to come.
- Friday, Aug3 at Noon, meet at US Bank at Commercial and State to Occupy the Bank.
PROPOSALS: Results (Passed, Rejected, Tabled)