Spokes Council Minutes 7/10/12
IKE BOX 7 PM (Outside)
Facilitator: Evan Stacker: Evan Scribe: Linda In Attendance: Laurie, Nancy, Rich, Stacey, Sean, Michele, Stan, Evan, Sandy, Peter, Greg, Gary, Mary
A Moment of Silence: Non-violence Agreement: Hand Signals: Mission Statement:
- Greg: He was at the National Gathering of Occupy in Philadelphia. Three areas were discussed: How can Occupy get focused; direct democracy; visions for the future were written. (See AGENDA, REPORTS & ACTIONS.)
- MPMTA attended Monday’s City Council meeting. (See REPORTS.)
- Stacey: His house is up for auction tomorrow on the Courthouse steps. (See AGENGA/ACTIONS.)
- Linda: She has the key for Friday’s informal GA at Friends Meeting House.
- Peter has a proposal re Spokes Council. (See PROPOSALS.)
- MPMTA has their Study Group meetings this week. You can find more about it either on their website or on their calendar.
- Nancy: There is a vigil at Peace Plaza on 8/2 regarding Syria. A suggestion was that she post it on the FOR website and the OSOGA Forum. (See CALENDAR.)
- Nancy/Rich: Bills have to be in to the legislature by Sept 15 so there may be fewer.
- Greg: Friday’s Bank action! (See ACTIONS.)
- Wed Jul 11 – 6:30pm, at Ike Box, MPMTA Study Group 201 presents Citizen’s United / Free Speech. The next one is Jul 25.
- Thursday, July 12 – 6:30pm at Ike Box, MPMTA Study Group 101 meets for its weekly, Thursday study of democracy using the WILPF format.
- Fri, Jul 13, at noon at Wells Fargo.
- Fri, Sat, Sun Jul 20 – 22, at Bush Park, is the Salem Art Fair with tabling by MTA and Occupy.
- Thurs, Aug 2, at 7pm at Peace Plaza will be a gathering to show support for Syrians.
- Wed Aug 8, 7pm – 9pm, at OPW, will be a Big Banks panel.
- Sat Aug 18, 10am at Unity Property, 1777 Fabry Rd SE, is the Salem Peace Festival.
- Sat Aug 25 – Sept 3 at the Fairgrounds, the State Fair where tabling will happen.
- Linda: Sign up for tabling at the Salem Art Fair on 7/20, 21, 22.
- Linda: Write letters to the editor about Salem City Council’s actions at last night’s SCC meeting regarding MPMTA.
- Nancy: She has material to be sewn into scarves to show solidarity for the teens in Afghanistan who are advocating peace.
- Sandy: She encouraged everyone to attend MPMTA Study Groups. (See their calendar.)
- Greg: He recommended going onto interoccupy.net and listening to the conference call next Tuesday (the 17th) discussing the results of the National Gathering in Philadelphia. (See ACTIONS.)
REPORTS: Greg reported that in the National Gathering there is one scribe from each group to collect visions, scribes to collect topics, which are then rated, and one whole day for the process. He said that there was a street drama where violence killed the banks. (See ACTIONS.)
Rich said that Salem City Council (SCC) voted and only 3 of 8 supported the MPMTA referral that corporations are not people and money is not speech. He appreciated all the support and the effort will continue.
Peter said that there is $1,354 in Occupy’s account.
Blue Scarfs AG: Nancy: She brought scarves to sew, and then told of two Afghan men who wanted to end the war who have a web page: http://ourjourneytosmile.com/blog/ which is connected in some way to www.bluescrarf.org. Occupy agreed to donate $20 toward the project. She will provide needles and thread so others can help hem – that Lisa, James’ wife – will need help.
Foreclosure Action Team: Stacey: (See ACTIONS.)
Political Action Team: Sean: He provided the Mission Statement with the added sentence he wanted. Peter suggested the words:”we agree to respect”; Gary suggested “at all times” be added after “one another”; Rich suggested taking out he period and adding “redress our grievances”; Stan suggested changing the common ground to “common solutions”. One question: Do we treat this as two parts or one proposal: Sean sees it as one. This will be read before meetings, and is a proposal to be followed up on at next week’s GA. (See PROPOSALS.)
Sprockets AG: Laurie: Bike AG will ride to another neighborhood Wells Fargo after Friday’s downtown ACTION to Occupy the bank there.
PRAXIS AG: Linda: Praxis will have a scavenger type event in which people will go to locations to gather either an item or an address and it will be followed by a picnic.
TAG: Mary: TAG wants everything in writing.
Occupy the Banks AG: Greg: See ACTIONS.
Education AG: Stan: He said he has no report at this time.
Friday Night AG: Stan: The informal GA on Friday’s wants to be an AG.
Stacey: His home will be up for auction tomorrow, Wed the 11th, at the Courthouse and everyone is encouraged to come and witness it. He reminded us that the Fairness in Foreclosure Act takes effect tomorrow.
Greg: Friday, Jul 13 at Noon, meet at Wells Fargo on State to hand flyers to people to encourage them to move their money from big banks to local banks and credit unions. Stan said that Sprockets AG will bike to a neighborhood Wells Fargo bank to spread the word, and will speak to small businesses.
Greg: Tues, Jul 17 go on-line to www.interoccupy.net and listen to the conference call next Tuesday (the 17th) discussing the results of the National Gathering in Philadelphia. You’ll want to sign up ahead of then.
PROPOSALS: Results (Passed, Rejected, Tabled)
- Sean: He provided the Mission Statement with the added sentence he wanted. Peter suggested the words:”we agree to respect”; Gary suggested “at all times” be added after “one another”; Rich suggested taking out he period and adding “redress our grievances”; Stan suggested changing the common ground to “common solutions”; Greg suggested it was weak and needs stronger, more specific wording such as including: “injustices”. Others made comments, one of which was to put it in writing with changes. In addition, Sean thought links could be added. One question: Do we treat this as two parts or one proposal: Sean sees it as one. This would be read before meetings after the Non-Violence statement. It was tabled until next week’s GA.
- Peter: He made his Spokes Council proposal again with the added: For a period of two months, not to alternate with GA – that the hybrid system was too confusing. Laurie seconded it. It will go to GA next week.
- Laurie: She proposed on behalf of the Education Committee that any proposal be written and posted before meetings with details. Peter seconded. This will be decided next week.
- Stan: He proposed that Occupy have a Check List hand out that would work well for making proposals. This could be added to the Ed Com’s proposal and will be decided next week.
- Rich: He proposed that MPMTA be an AG. It was agreed that by default it was.
Meeting ADJOURNED by Evan; seconded by Stan.