Spokes Council Minutes 6/26/12
IKE BOX 7 PM
Facilitator: Gary Stacker: Gary Scribe: Bobbie
In Attendance: Laurie, Bobbie, Peter, Gary, Nancy, Katharine, Anne, Rich, Josh, Ken J, Ken, Stacey, Sean, Dean
A Moment of Silence: Gary Non-violence Agreement: Peter Hand Signals: Gary Mission Statement: Sean
- Katharine: Friday’s Move Your Money event went well – this Friday she will have a bullhorn. She is pleased that so many people report having moved their money already; she wants a planning meeting for her Occupy the Banks AG and she will have a sign-up sheet for those who want to be part of that. (See Actions below.)
- Katharine: Portland has a sleepover at City Hall on Jul 1 in solidarity with Cameron Witten whose hunger strike will be in day 30 on Jul 1.
- Katharine: Today’s action in front of Fish and Wildlife went well but had fewer people as Cascadia Forest Defenders and Earth First staged a demonstration at the Capitol yesterday. She spoke with the Statesman Journal as well as Salem Weekly, but it’s not likely there will be much mention of her action. She and Nancy encouraged everyone to contact Governor Kitzhaber as well as the person at Fish and Wildlife responsible for giving Nestle water rights, as now there are only two ways to stop Nestle: the Governor or the courts. (See Actions below.)
- Laurie: The Bike Group met today and biked to the action at Fish and Wildlife.
- Katharine: The Communications AG will meet Monday at 5pm at the IKE Box.
- Peter: The Education Committee will meet right after the Communications AG meeting.
- Bobbie: Mary Murphy is doing better – she has lots of help from her daughter.
- Stacey: His MoveOn event Wednesday went well. 5,707 signatures were delivered to the Governor showing support for the Move To Amend campaign.
- Ken J: Counterpunch had an article by Ellen Brown which connects some of the dots regarding the economic issues of today. (http://www.counterpunch.org/2010/06/30/who-will-pay-wall-street-or-main-street/).
- Dean: Who might be going to attend the Philadelphia Occupy National Gathering which starts Friday? Greg F plans to attend.
- Wed Jun 27, 6:30pm – 8pm, at IKE Box, Study Group Two, Laurie Dougherty will present The Environment and Corporate Power.
- Thu Jun 28, 6:30pm – 8pm, at IKE Box, Study Group One meets.
- Fri Jun 29, Noon – 1pm, at Bank of America for Occupy the Banks.
- Fri Jun 29 – Jul 2, all day, in Seabeck WA for the FOR Peace Conference.
- Sun Jul 1 sleepover at Portland City Hall.
- Mon Jul 2 – 10, Noon, at Pioneer Courthouse Square is a Trans Pacific Free Trade protest.
- Mon Jul 9 – 6:30pm, at Salem City Council to support Move To Amend.
- Wed Aug 8, 7pm – 9pm, at OPW, Big Banks/State Banks/Buy Local presentation.
- Sat Aug 18, 10am at Unity Property, 1777 Fabry Rd SE, is the Salem Peace Festival.
- Sean: He would like the Mission Statement read at each meeting. There were no objections to his request – he read it – it will be read at each meeting when the other guidelines: Hand Signals, etc are given.
- Sean: He would like the Consensus statement which Dean helped create with Steven Saint accepted. (See Proposals below.)
- Laurie: The Education Committee has brought its Proposal for the Group Process Workshop. (See Proposals below.)
- Dean: He is representing the Occupy Oregon Media Group and there is a teleconference Monday at 5:30pm he’d like people to attend in cooperation with Project Reconomy.
Gary represented the bicycle AG. They attended the F&W event today.
Rich represented the MTA AG. He stated that there was standing room only crowd at the Salem City Council meeting last night to support the effort against corporate personhood. 5-6 people spoke, including MPMTA people such as himself, and Lee Mercer of Main Street Alliance. There is reason to think that a referral will be made at the next SCC meeting on 7/9 and he’d like everyone to show support by attending. (See Actions below.)
Peter represented the Praxis AG which supported actions this week by making signs.
Katharine represented the Occupy the Banks AG. (See Announcements; Calendar; Actions.)
Contact Governor Kitzhaber at 503 378-4582 or http://governor.oregon.gov/gov/Pages/Contact.aspx, and Rick Kepler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503 947-6084, to let them know you want to keep Nestle out of the Columbia Gorge – they should not be given Oregon’s water rights. Google “Keep Nestle Out of the Gorge” to find websites with information, one of which is www.keepnestleout.wordpress.com.
Friday, Jun 29 at Noon, meet at Bank of American at Center NE and High NE to hand flyers to people to encourage them to move their money from big banks to local banks and credit unions.
Monday, Jul 9 at 6:30pm meet at Salem City Council to support the Marion Polk Move To Amend effort to get a referral on the corporate personhood issue.
PROPOSALS: Results (Passed, Rejected, Tabled)
- Sean: He proposed that a consensus paragraph created by Dean and Steven Saint be read at each Occupy meetings such as other guidelines like the Non-Violent Agreement. He wants the have less talk and more action and hopes that reasonable proposals will meet consensus. It was decided after discussion to table it until Sean returns with a condensed version.
- Laurie:Proposal from the OSO Education Committee for an OSO Group Process Workshop:
Responding to frequently-stated requests from a variety of OSO people, going back to the days in the encampment, the Education Committee proposes to organize a Group Process Workshop for members of OSO and others who may wish to participate.
This workshop will:
- Involve presenters from outside the OSO community;
- Address consensus decision making process, including the modified consensus model that OSO uses;
- Provide both instruction and practice in group facilitation techniques and skills;
- Cover other group process roles and skills, such as stacking, vibes watching, note taking, agenda building
- Be about half a day (~4 hours) in length.
The Education Committee hereby proposes that OSO agree to sponsor such a workshop for itself and for the community and that it appropriate a maximum of $150 to pay presenters for their time plus and additional maximum of $50 for their travel.
The proposal passed after a lengthy discussion in which it was agreed that the process of how AG works within Spokes Council is still not clear to everyone and that it needs better understanding. ie: Requests for money, perhaps with a ceiling that does not require going back to an AG, may need to be discussed further at GA. Another result: Dean suggested he could be one of the presenters on consensus at the Group Process Workshop and he would not need a stipend.
ADJOURNED by Katharine; seconded by Rich. Next week’s GA facilitator will be Bobbie, Nancy will stack, Katharine will scribe.