GA Minutes 6/5/12
IKE BOX 7 PM
Facilitator: Evan Stacker: None Scribe: Bobbie
In Attendance: Mary, Laurie, Bobbie, Stan, Linda, Peter, Michele, Sarah, Michael, Mike, Gary, Nancy, Anne, Evan, Katharine, James, Stacey
A moment of silence: Michael Non violence agreement: Evan Hand Signals: Not given ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- Katharine: The ‘move your money from banks to credit unions’ event Friday went well, with people passing literature and holding signs. This coming Friday at noon, at the corner of Liberty and Court at the Reed Opera House, local commerce will be encouraged to move their money.
- Peter: Dr Atomic will warm-up at the Grand 6/16 for Roy Zimmerman. See Calendar.
- Katharine: Rainbow has a gathering at Cascadia from the 14th – 20th. See Calendar.
- Michele: The U.C.C. will host the Cindy Sheehan event of the 25th. See Calendar.
- Michele: The key to Friends was not lost, just not available last Friday.
- Bobbie: A petition which asks for the ‘kicker’ to go into the education fund rather than being mailed back to tax payers will be distributed after the meeting.
- Katherine would like Occupy to endorse a national gathering from 6/30 – 7/4 in Philadelphia of Occupy from all over, and they’d like endorsement of their plan to gather to come up with a vision. Endorsement does not mean you approve whatever vision they come up with – that would come later. There is a caravan leaving the North West to attend and anyone attending would be there on their own recognizance and not as a representative. Peter seconded Katharine’s request. After a short discussion in which Occupy visibility seemed to be a primary reason to endorse it, it passed. Katharine will post on the Forum.
- Katharine has a proposal regarding Nestle Corporation’s plan to build a water bottling plant on the Columbia in Cascade Locks. See Proposal below.
- Michele knows of plans for Occupy groups to support the Canadian ‘casserole’ actions regarding student costs as well as the Canadian version of NDAA. (Pots and pans are banged while marching.) There is an event here on the 13th, which will be too late for this Occupy to plan around now, but it can be brought to next Tuesday’s first Spokes Council meeting. There is another event on 6/22. She will have flyers, and hopes Occupy Salem Oregon will support it. Given the time difference of the East Coast/West Coast, it may be early enough in the evening for pots and pans banging here as it would be 5pm, not 8pm. It was pointed out that the loans of students went up by a higher percent than the country’s own regulations stipulate.
- June 8th noon-1pm at Liberty and Court, Commerce will be encouraged to move their money from big banks to local banks and credit unions.
- June 8th 7pm-9pm at Friends Meeting House: Informal GA.
- June 13th 6:30pm – 8:30pm at IKE Box, Occupy and Move To Amend will present a study on cooperatives, using the Mondragon model of Spain.
- June 14th 6:30pm – 8:30pm at IKE Box, Move To Amend will start its Study Group 101.
- June 14th – 20th at Cascadia: Rainbow Gathering will happen.
- June 16th 7:30pm – 10pm at Grand Theatre on High St NE: Dr Atomic and Roy Zimmerman.
- June 25th 7pm – 9pm at UCC, Cindy Sheehan’s book signing for ‘Revolution: A Love Story’.
- June 26th (tentative time) of noon-2pm at Fish and Wildlife on Cherry and the Parkway people will gather to protest Nestle’s plan to have a water bottling plant in Cascade Locks.
- June 29th – July 2nd is the FOR Peace Conference in Seabeck WA.
ACTIONS: Friday Katharine will be at Liberty NE and Court NE at the Reed Opera House to encourage local businesses to move their money from big banks to local banks and credit unions. You are welcome to join her.
PROPOSALS: Results (Passed, Rejected, Tabled) Katharine proposed that OSO support other Occupy groups as well as other organizations such as the Sierra Club to petition the Nestle Corporation’s plan to build a water bottling plant in Cascade Locks to use their water supply. It passed unanimously with suggestions such as using the Burma Shave signs by Stacey, seconded by Gary; and to discuss it further after the meeting by Michael, seconded by Evan. Katharine will post more information on the Forum, too.
COMMITTEE REPORTS: None given. ADJOURNMENT: Sarah moved to adjourn; Evan seconded.