GA Minutes 5/22/12
IKE BOX 7 PM
Facilitator: Peter Stacker: Peter Scribe: Bobbie
In Attendance: Mary, Laurie, Bobbie, Stan, Linda, Peter, Michele, Sarah, Mike, Gary, Nancy, Anne
A moment of silence: Peter Non violence agreement: Peter Hand Signals: Not given as everyone knows them Announcements: 1. Information 2. Calendar
Actions: None Proposals: Below
Committee Reports: None
- Peter: The buy local campaign that was an outgrowth of Occupy is almost ready. Locally owned businesses are being offered the opportunity to have their logo on a poster which, with two window decals of the new logo designed for the campaign, will be displayed so that potential shoppers know which businesses are local to support. He put it on the forum; it will have its own website with links to the different businesses.
- Bobbie: The Long Range Planning group met today and decided to change their name to Praxis Affinity Group. Integrity, Equity Sharing, Justice, Sustainability and Action are the five components which will guide this new AG.
- Laurie: The new bicycle AG met today for the second time. They have no new name yet. They plan to bicycle to other Occupy groups and other places further out in order to make Occupy more visible.
- Gary: The Fellowship of Reconciliation meets from 6/29-7/2 and the theme is: Living the Dream of Justice and Peace: Occupy & Beyond. Nancy expanded on it.
- Michele: She would like Occupy to sponsor Cindy Sheehan when she comes to Salem to promote her book ‘Revolution: A Love Story’ on 6/25. There will be press releases about Sheehan’s presentation. Michele needs to locate a venue as the library is closed on 6/25; suggestions were made, some of which included places which charge a fee. See Proposals.
- Sarah: She has observed that having announcements first often does not leave time for discussions for decision making on agenda items. She would like to see meetings ‘tightened’ in the interest of moving it along so all is covered in the two hour limit; it would help to eliminate side conversations. She believes it will benefit Occupy to grow in discipline – to be consistent. An alternate proposal came from the resulting discussion, knowing that it would be helpful if all announcements could be kept brief, with just the who/what/where/when given; the time needs to be watched as it is known that any dishes must be upstairs by 9pm, even though putting chairs away and other clean-up duties can happen after 9pm; the facilitator for the following week would be chosen which would help with agenda setting. See Proposals.
- Nancy: She asked what the next step was regarding the Spokescouncil format because Sean is not available tonight. There was a lengthy discussion which resulted in Sarah making a motion to table it until next week, seconded by Linda. Meanwhile, it was suggested during the discussion that some get together again on Friday to work on questions, such as how will communication happen between the groups. Laurie, Stan, Sarah and Peter all volunteered to work on the communication piece, using the forum etc. Bobbie asked how many will attend Friends Meeting House on Friday to further discuss the Spokescouncil format; a handful of people will attend even though it is a holiday weekend.
- Peter: He repeated that Occupy has $1,354. Nancy wondered how it had increased; Bobbie said that Occupy merchandise continues to be sold at the Move To Amend tabling events.
- Gary: The FOR is presenting a panel of veterans at Friends Meeting House this Sunday at 4pm. A potluck supper will follow.
- Nancy : The legislature is back in session tomorrow – Wed 5/23 – so check the Capitol agenda to follow your issues.
- Thurs May 24th 6:30pm – 8:30 pm at OPW office, Occupy Education Committee will present a single payer program.
- Sun May 27th 4pm at Friends Meeting House FOR presents a panel of war veterans speaking to peace.
- June 13th 6:30pm – 8:30pm at IKE Box, Occupy and Move To Amend will present a study on cooperatives, using the Mondragon model of Spain.
- June 26th Cindy Sheehan presentation; details to come.
- June 29th – July 2nd is the Fellowship of Reconciliation Justice and Peace Conference in Seabeck WA.
Proposals/Results (Passed, Rejected, Tabled)
Sarah moved to appropriate up to $75 to pay for a venue to host Cindy Sheehan; Gary seconded it. It passed unanimously.
Sarah proposed that Stan’s suggestion be incorporated to give announcements last at GA meetings. A lengthy discussion followed with such suggestions as having individuals post them on a ‘white board’ or similar. However, others like to hear them; 25% of those attending this meeting do not have access to the website to read the Calendar etc. No one seconded this proposal. The lengthy discussion which brought out details such as mentioned in #6 resulted in the following proposal:
Bobbie proposed that GA start sharply at 7pm, followed by the usual Moment of Silence, Non-Violence Agreement and Hand Signals, with Announcements following that but ending at 7:15pm. The Agenda items, including Proposals and Reports would start at 7:16pm. Any after occurring announcements could be given at 8:50pm, with the facilitator asking if there is any other closing business, and then followed by a motion that is seconded to adjourn the meeting promptly at 9pm. This proposal was seconded by Nancy, and it passed unanimously.
None given, though Peter repeated that the budget is $1354.
Stan moved and Sarah seconded it.