GA Minutes 5/4/12
IKE BOX 7 PM
Facilitator: Stacker: Scribe:
In Attendance: Mary, Laurie, Bobbie, Stan, Linda, James
A moment of silence: Non violence agreement: Hand Signals: Announcements:
1. Information 2. Calendar
Actions: Below Proposals: Committee Reports: None
- The Friends Meeting House was closed; we moved to the IKE Box.
- Stan reminded us that the front page of the website would be a great place to have an invitation to those visiting the website to attend GA on Tuesdays at 7pm.
- Stan said he handed out his ‘post card’ flyers at the Tuesday Rally on May Day, as well as the Unite Against the War on Women rally this past Saturday, and he has another made for this Saturday’s 350.org, Climate Change awareness event.
- Following last Saturday’s Unite Against the War on Women rally, about a couple dozen Occupy members had a picnic in Willson Park. A handful of them were from Portland Occupy. A discussion of the Spokescouncil proposal ensued, with a Portland member providing valuable information on theirs.
- Laurie created a flyer to distribute during ‘connect the dots’, a Climate Change awareness Bike n’ Hike she organized for the 350.org May 5 world-wide event. To join, go to www.350.org, click on the 5/5/12 event bubble, click on the “Tour de Flood” event at 97301.
- The Putnam Center on the Willamette U Campus is the locale on Monday, May 7, for Russ Beaton on sustainability economics.
- A brief discussion included that with so few attending GA, Peter’s proposal may not be necessary to implement right away – though is a good idea.
- Stan hopes for discussion on problems, causes, and solutions of what is happening in this city, country, world at an upcoming event, such as a summer picnic.
- James suggested that a good visual for a coal event – it was noted that Warren Buffet’s coal train would be stopped in British Columbia by Climate Change protesters – would be to have a bucket of coal for people to see, smell and touch to help them see how dirty it is. See story here: http://www.straight.com/article-674021/vancouver/bc-activists-warn-warren-buffett-oneday-bnsf-coal-train-blockade More discussion on this to come.
- Sat May 5th at 11am, meet at the Carousel in Riverfront Park on your bikes for the 350.org ‘connect the dots’ event.
- Mon May 7th, at 7 pm, Putnam Center on Willamette University Campus will host Russ Beaton on sustainability economics.
- Wed May 9th, at 10am, at the Capitol a rally and events will be held regarding Children’s Mental Health Day. Speakers will be on the steps at noon. See their Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/ChildrensMentalHealthDay
ACTIONS Climate Change awareness: “Connect the Dots” is the theme of the 350.org event Saturday, May 5th.
Proposals/Results (Passed, Rejected, Tabled)