GA Minutes 4/24/12
IKE BOX 7 PM
Facilitator: Peter Stacker: Stacey/Peter Scribe: Bobbie
In Attendance: Gary, Anne, Mary, Peter, Laurie, Evan, Bobbie, Stan, Stacey, Linda, Thomas, James, Michele
A moment of silence: Peter
Non violence agreement: Peter
Hand Signals: Not Given
1.Information 2. Calendar Actions: Below Proposals: See Below Committee Reports: None
- The Post Office Tax Day event last week went well; a couple days later Senator Merkley spoke on behalf of his constituents and his proposal that not all those PO’s scheduled to close should close, resulted in less drastic PO cuts at this time – there will be fewer layoffs. Both OR Senators presented ways to lessen the impact PO changes will have on communities. Linda liked the idea that Occupy’s victories be put on the front page of the website so new visitors to the site can see OSO’s accomplishments; others agreed.
- Michele will be able to see that the Friends Meeting House is open this coming Friday.
- Michele reports that she is working on CCTV shows which are dedicated to providing another media avenue to spotlight issues concerning the 99% particularly since the local media has been so lacking in accurate reporting on those issues.
- Stan will create a ‘post card’ flyer to hand out at the ‘Unite Against the War on Women’ rally this Saturday, the 28th, at the Capitol. Sign up here: http://actions.the99spring.com/actions/events/show/6655
- Following the rally on the 28th, there is a swap meet at the reunion picnic in Willson Park. In addition to the item(s) for the swap meet, bring blankets/chairs to sit on, games, including those for kids, music and a dish to share. Peter suggested the picnic would provide an opportunity to discuss his proposal, below. Stan hopes for discussion on problems, causes, and solutions. Thomas will pass out flyers about his concern about a school closure because of government’s use of eminent domain to take property. Bobbie will pick up people who need a ride.
- Next Tuesday evening, May 1, is the May Day event at the Capitol, which OSO is supporting, so GA is postponed until Friday, 5/4/12, and will be at the Friends Meeting House at 7pm.
- Laurie is organizing a Bike group to ‘connect the dots’ regarding Climate Change awareness for the 350.org May 5 world-wide event, by visiting recently flooded areas in Salem. Wallace Marine Park where homeless people were rescued by boat; Winter at Bellevue which remains closed; and the State St/21st Street area are expected stops the bicyclists will make. The time is tentatively set for 11am; the meet-up place is to be determined. Go to www.350.org, click on the 5/5/12 event bubble, click on the “Tour de Flood” event at 97301.
- Peter announced that on Monday, 5/7, the Putnam Center on the Willamette U Campus will host Russ Beaton on sustainability economics at 7pm. Beaton has co-authored books on this.
- The Occupy the Highway phase two that was scheduled for 5/19 was postponed to give the video time to be finished so it can be distributed, inviting other Occupy groups to do an Occupy the Highway project at the same time. New date/time to be announced. Meanwhile, Stan and Stacey will work on getting the video finished.
- Gary suggested that a get rid of invasive weeds project might be something Occupy members could do. Bobbie suggested this is similar to Katharine and others’ sandbagging efforts and could be one of the discussions that takes place at informal GA meetings and the 4/28 picnic.
- Peter proposed a new model for GA which he wants OSO members to consider and provided his outline. He observed that several Occupy committees seem to need shoring up and perhaps this different format will help bring former and new members to Occupy to help these and/or create different ag/committees. A brief discussion indicated many, including some not in attendance, were interested. See Proposals below.
- Sat Apr 28th, 10am-1pm at the Capitol, is the ‘Unite Against War on Women’ rally. Sign up here: http://actions.the99spring.com/actions/events/show/6655
- Sat Apr 28th 1:30pm at Willson Park will be a reunion of Occupy Members. See #4 above.
- Tues May 1st at 6pm, at the Capitol, CAUSA will rally and march.
- Sat May 5th at 11am, the 350.org ‘connect the dots’ event in Salem will be a Bike event. See #6 above. Watch for meet-up place.
- Mon May 7th, at 7 pm, Putnam Center on Willamette University Campus will host Russ Beaton on sustainability economics.
Occupy will have a reunion picnic on 4/28 in which discussion will be encouraged. See #4 in Announcements (Information).
Several other organizations have events coming up. Check above or go to the OSO Calendar at www.osoga.com and click on the calendar.
Proposals/Results (Passed, Rejected, Tabled) Peter proposed, and asked OSO members to discuss at the reunion and other venues before a discussion is held at a formal GA, that the format for GA follow the Clamshell Alliance model. Smaller groups with similar interests would make up Affinity Groups and Committees, where ideas would be explored and brought by a rotating spokesperson to a Spokescouncil. If adopted, overlapping ags/committees could contribute to it, and if not adopted, the presenting ag/committee could go forward on its own. It is thought that this method would allow more agenda items to be presented at GA, as the discussions and details would take place before being presented in a formal GA where discussions often bog down.
Committee Reports None given