GA Minutes (3/13/12)

GA Minutes 3/13/12

IKE BOX 7 PM

Facilitator: Peter                                                                                                                                                         Stacker: Peter                                                                                                                                                      Scribe: Bobbie                                                                                                                                                     Recorder: Katharine

In Attendance:  Greg, Bobbie, Stan, Gary, Ann, Linda, Evan, Nancy, Dean, Nancy, Jennifer, Mary, Joan, Anne, Katharine, Karla, Kenneth, Laurie, Gordy,

Agenda:
A moment of silence: Peter                                                                                                                                              Non violence agreement: Peter                                                                                                                                                  Hand Signals: Not given                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Announcements:                                                                                                                                      1. Information                                                                                                                                                                 2. Calendar

Actions:                                                                                                              Below                                                                                                                                      Proposals: Below                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Committee Reports: Below

Announcements (Information):

  1. Gordy: He has no specific information yet regarding the idea he and Ariel spoke about but members can meet with him after GA if they have questions.  He anticipates it will be another 2-3 weeks before he can report anything.
  2. Ann: Good Samaritan in Albany, Corvallis and Newport will have pickets because the CEO makes one million a year but attacks workers by wanting to cut benefits.  This is a Private Health Insurance issue.
  3. Karla: SEIU’s Social Security Retirement event on the 15th includes giving free bus passes.  See Calendar #2. Gordy wonders if the SS issue includes SSD and it does.  Bobbie said that people protesting foreclosures will participate at the same time.
  4. Joan: If the cap was raised there’d be more money in the Social Security fund and it would be solvent. Peter reminded that SS is solvent though was borrowed for war.
  5. Dean: He’d like to see links to the issues brought up in GA, such as to the Social Security event.
  6. Bobbie: She wants to know if others are going to the 4/15 Hanford event and if others want to car-pool. Katharine said that buses will leave Portland for that event. Some are interested.
  7. Dean: He suggested that it would be good to have a way to coordinate information on actions.
  8. Nancy: She wants to know if PAT will start to meet again on Tuesdays at 3pm. No one responded.
  9. Stan: He has information on local advertisers on Rush Limbaugh’s radio show and will share it.
  10. Katharine. Saturday the 17th is OSW’s 6 month anniversary.
  11. Greg: Occupy across the nations is calling for a General Strike on May Day, the 1st.  Peter said that he does not think this country is ready for a general strike. Katharine said that she’d think that unions would be involved for something like a nationwide strike.
  12. Bobbie: May Day has other events planned – in Salem CAUSA is going to have a large rally with other organizations supporting it. Stan suggested that if Occupy supports CAUSA, ¼ page sheets inviting people to attend an Occupy meeting on Tuesdays at 7pm might bring more people in. Dean said that there are plenty of issues – such as bill of rights issues and NDAA to emphasize. Laurie wants to make certain that Occupy does not compete with CAUSA. Peter can contact CAUSA to determine involvement.
  13. Bobbie: Late summer is Occupy’s year anniversary. Consider having a celebration by networking, picnicking and holding education forums for all Occupys.
  14. Nancy: She wants to know if there is a statewide meeting. Katharine said it needs more support to go forward. She said to check the PDXGA.org website.
  15. Peter: He wants to know what worked and did not work re Occupy the Highway. See Long Range Planning Report below.
  16. Dean: He suggested that InterOccupy be used as a way to coordinate flow throughout the state as common concerns such as foreclosures and rights. Katharine asked for clarification – was Dean suggesting endorsement? Dean said he’d like a discussion; Bobbie suggested the Friends Meeting House on Friday. Evan suggested it be tabled until more is known. Dean withdrew his suggestion; Peter suggested Dean come back with a proposal.
  17. Nancy: What happened at the trial regarding Jim King? Peter said that Judge Bennett denied both parties – there was no reimbursement of court costs; the judge said that King sued the wrong people; it was dismissed with prejudice. Nancy suggested King should have known it was a non-profit.
  18. Linda: Should something – 50 cents; a dollar -  be donated every week to create slush fund?
  19. Greg: Do members know who owns the Central Banking/Federal Reserve? It is House of Rothchild.

Announcements: (CALENDAR)

  1. Wed Mar 14th at 6:30 pm, at IKE BOX, Move To Amend 201 study group will address the importance of voting.
  2. Thurs Mar 15th from 4pm- 5pm at the Bus Mall at Court St NE and High St NE SEIU’s Retirement Security Team will meet to bring attention to the 1% who will no longer have to pay into social security.
  3. Mon Mar 26th in Eugene is a concert, hosted by Greg.
  4. Sun Apr 15th in Richland, WA, at noon, is a rally regarding the Hanford nuclear site, with speakers such as Dr Helen Caldicott, Peter Bergel and others, as well as music.
  5. Tues May 1st at noon, in Salem, CAUSA will rally. Many organizations will support it.

ACTIONS

Specific plans for Occupy the Highway phase 2 are not available as of this meeting.

Proposals / Results (Passed, Rejected, Tabled)

Suggestions were made and tabled.

Committee Reports

Long Range Planning: Peter lead a discussion about the Occupy the Highway project.  Greg thought that Occupy being visible was good and estimated 6000-8000 vehicles passed. He’d like to see it again on both sides of the highway. Jennifer thought it was “fabulous”. Katharine thought it was “really, really super cool”; she was concerned about the highway sign drivers being on the shoulder of the highway creating a problem. At least three people mentioned that the first sign was placed too close to the on ramp, creating a safety issue. Bobbie said that communications between sign holders and drivers was not adequate, and perhaps radios with a wider range would be needed. Linda reminded that people were asked to bring their own hot beverage and warm clothing. Gary appreciated Don and Linda’s vehicles use. Stan suggested that there are probably places on the highway with back street access. Greg suggested that other organizations join for the next phase of Occupy the Highway. Peter suggested that once Greg has the video prepared it be shown at Occupy; he asked if there should be a second phase and if so, when – suggesting it be a nationwide event two months out so it is well prepared. Many suggestions for the video were suggested, as were places for practice displays. It was suggested that people go to the forum with ideas of where practice displays could take place. Dean suggested that InterOccupy could help network, and that an interim OR person is needed for that position. Greg said that if the event is going to be national it may be best to purchase a domain name for all Occupy groups to use. Stan wondered if it should be coordinated with other events. Linda suggested May Day; Katharine reminded that there were already large events scheduled for that day.

Budget: Nancy said that the committee has not met – two members have not been involved, and she’d like two others appointed. It was tabled for now.

The meeting was adjourned by Peter and seconded by Stan.

Comments are closed.