GA Minutes 2/28/12
IKE BOX 7 PM
Facilitator: Evan Stacker: Ian Scribe: Bobbie
In Attendance: Greg, Bobbie, Laurie, Michael L, Sarah, Ian, Stan, Gary, Anne, Ann, Linda, Mary, James, Peter, Debra, Evan, Nancy, Joan, Michele, Guest
A moment of silence: Evan Non violence agreement: Not read Hand Signals: Not given Announcements: 1. Information 2. Calendar
Actions: Below Proposals: None Committee Reports: None given
- Debra: She questions whether there is a Salem Occupy the Corporations event tomorrow. Nothing was planned for Salem.
- Ann: She is attending the United National Association Coalition (UNAC) anti-war conference in March. There will be decision making and an action program planned for the May gatherings of GA & NATO in Chicago.
- Joan: CCTV23 has a documentary about Occupy Salem produced by Emily P, and it is worth watching.
- Michele: She will leave Friday the 2nd to bike to Eugene with former Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney for the Sat Mar 3rd all day session of the annual Environmental Law Conference.
- Greg: He will host a concert on Mar 26th in Eugene in response to SB 1552 on economic fairness.
- Stan: Go to www.occupyoregonconference.org for information on the upcoming March Portland events.
- Michele: The Saturday Eugene Occupy event had 20 Occupy Groups, with 7 Salem members in attendance. There was good energy, ways to collaborate, and she was on the panel forum which will be available on youtube in about a week; Nancy said that it was reported that 225 attended, and that initiatives are the method needed for some issues; Peter said it is too late to submit initiatives for this November’s ballot; Ian said that it will take a constitutional amendment for the campaign finance reform issue.
- Nancy: It is not widely reported but there is a lake near Eugene which was sprayed and the chemicals have been found in the bodies of people in the area.
- Wed Feb 29th at 6:30 pm in the Ike Box, MoveToAmend’s Mike Hansen, former council for Marion County, will present the History and Development of the monetary system.
- Sat Mar 3rd at noon in the Village Green in Sisters, will be an Occupy Sisters rally and march.
- Tues Mar 6th at 6:30 pm, at IKE BOX, Move To Amend 101 study group will meet for the 2nd of a 10 week course based on Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom.
- Wed Mar 7th at 7 pm at Peaceworks Office, 104 Commercial St NE, will be a presentation on Bhutan’s forward thinking economic development. (Occupy Salem Educational Event)
- Fri Mar 9th at 9 am Peter and Michele will be in court regarding the Jim King case.
- Mon Mar 12th is the Salem Keizer Sustainability Summit. Sign up on the Peaceworks website www.oregonpeaceworks.org.
- Thurs Mar 15th through the 19th is a Statewide GA in Portland; actions are planned. On the 17th, the action will require tents.
- Mon Mar 26th in Eugene is a concert, hosted by Greg.
- Occupy members continue to be encouraged to attend the legislation; it will end in the next few days.
- The Burma Shave Highway Sign project is well under way. Michael will purchase the 2×2’s by Friday so that at the Friends Meeting House – Michele will ask Marc to open it by 7 pm – Gary, Stan and others will put the remaining four frames together; Linda will determine if her truck is available for transporting them. On Tuesday, the 6th, members will meet at Peaceworks at 1 pm to paint the signs. The date chosen was Sat the 11th; the slogan chosen was:
OUR COUNTRY IS OFF TRACK TIME TO TAKE OUR POWER BACK OCCUPY
The osoga.com web site address will be under the word OCCUPY.
The sign holders/drivers are: Peter, Joan, Anne, James, Michele, Gary, Greg, Stan, Debra, Ian, Laurie, Linda and Bobbie
Proposals / Results (Passed, Rejected, Tabled)