GA Minutes (2/21/12)

GA Minutes 2/21/12

IKE BOX 7 PM

Facilitator: Ian                                                                                                                                                           Stacker: Stacey                                                                                                                                                       Scribe: Bobbie                                                                                                              Livestreaming: Katharine

In Attendance:  Greg, Bobbie, Laurie, Michael L, Sarah, Ian, Stan, Anne, Gary, Rich, Stacey, Anne, Ann, MaryAnna, Linda, Nathan

Agenda:
A moment of silence: Ian                                                                                         Non violence agreement: Ian                                                                                                                                 Hand Signals:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Announcements                                                                                                                      1.Information                                                                                                                                                                 2.Calendar                                                                                                                           Actions                                                                                                                                                                           Proposals                                                                                                                                                                   Committee Reports

Announcements (Information):

  1. Ian: A book/video list is being created and anyone can send suggestions to info@osoga.com.
  2. Rich: The Move To Amend study group 201 WILL meet on Feb 29th, at 6:30 in the Ike Box.  The material is the history of development of the monetary system.
  3. Stacey: Doug is close to Phoenix and he will stop there for awhile and report to GA.  Mike is supposed to be returning though at this time his whereabouts are unknown.
  4. Ian: He reminds members that people can submit book suggestions and agenda items ahead of GA to either info@osoga.com or the forum and then the information will be disseminated by tweeting, emailing, and posting on Facebook and the Forum.
  5. Stacey proposed that ride sharing for the Eugene Assembly be planned; Gary seconded it; Ian will post it on the web site.  Ian stated that Eugene would like the event postered.
  6. Laurie: The Education Committee will meet on Monday the 27th, instead of Sunday, at 5:30 pm in the Peaceworks office.
  7. Ann: Ann is attending the United National Association Coalition (UNAC) anti-war conference in March.  There will be decision making and an action program planned for the May gatherings of GA & NATO in Chicago.
  8. Ian: He reminded members that he wanted an individual mission statement of why each joined Occupy and what each expected from Occupy.
  9. Greg: One third of the members in the State Houses of Representatives are ALEC members; Stacey stated that Governor Kitzhaber took $10,000 from ALEC last year; Laurie suggested www.alecexposed.org for information; Rich stated that ALEC offers scholarships to legislatures for conferences as a way to funnel money to the legislative members.
  10. Katharine: www.OPDXlive.org is a good way to stay in touch with what is happening around the country.
  11. Greg: His friend who is live-streaming in Syria has requested funds for bullet proof vests and other items.

Announcements: (CALENDAR)

  1. Thurs Feb 23 at 6:30 pm, 1730 Commercial St SE in SEIU 503’s Salem conference room, the Fair Trade Campaign will host the Fair Trade Road Show.
  2. Sat Feb 25th at 11-2 is a Statewide gathering in Eugene at 7th and Polk, followed by a GA 3-6; supper 6-8; music and dancing from 8-on.
  3. Tues Feb 28th at 6:30 pm, at IKE BOX, Move To Amend 101 study group will meet for the 1st of a 10 week course based on Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom.
  4. Wed Feb 29th, at 6:30 pm in the Ike Box, MoveToAmend’s Mike Hansen, former council for Marion County, will present the History and Development of the monetary system.
  5.  Sat Mar 3rd at noon in the Village Green in Sisters, will be an Occupy Sisters rally and march.
  6. Wed Mar 7 at 7 pm at Peaceworks Office, 104 Commercial St NE, will be a presentation on Bhutan’s forward thinking economic development. (Occupy Salem Educational Event)

ACTIONS

Occupy members continue to be encouraged to attend committee meetings in the legislation and to take advantage of those visits by speaking with the representatives or their staff.  They are particularly encouraged to follow 1552 and 1664.

Proposals / Results (Passed, Rejected, Tabled)

  1. Gary:  Long Range Planning proposes that $250 be made available to purchase supplies to create the ‘Burma Shave’ signs with the expectation that they will be ready by the weekend of March 10th or 17th.  A flyer with a list of the items and a sign-up sheet were provided.  Discussion resulted in suggestions such as using sheets which are less costly than Tyvek, spraying the grass, and that the MUTCD, the Uniform Traffic Control Devices be used. It was proposed that up to $50 be approved and provided if needed by Ian; MaryAnna seconded it. A request for jingles, as well as the list of items wanted will be posted.
  2. Stacey: He proposes a boycott of Coca Cola because Representative B Hanna owns a Coca Cola bottling company and he takes ALEC money. Greg seconded it.

Committee Report

The Education Committee changed the day they meet.  See #6 in Announcements.

Comments are closed.